Many women experience acne after going off the birth control pill, even if skin problems were not an issue before they started using it. Stopping birth control triggers acne because it changes hormone levels. Although many women see an improvement in their skin months after being off the pill, it can be an embarrassing and frustrating problem in the meantime. There are a number of steps that women who are going off the birth control pill can take to prevent acne.
Acne Prevention Tips
- Honey has lots of curing as well as cleansing properties. Open pores in face by applying warm water or mild steam and then apply honey. Wait for few minutes before washing it first using warm water. Cold water can then be splashed on face to close open pores.
- Wash your face at least twice a day (first time in morning and second before moving to bed). Wash more often in summers to prevent oils from getting accumulated and keep face clean. Remember to splash warm water before applying soap as that opens the pores in skin allowing deep penetration of skin by soap. People with oily skin must use water-based soap. Don’t use body soaps on face as that may clog pores causing acne pimples. Soap must be rinsed off using cold water so that pores are closed.
- Tone – People generally do not give toning any importance and it is often left out. Do tone your skin after cleansing as it clears face of any leftover cleanser. If residue is left on face, that clogs the pores resulting in acne. Toner can be easily applied by soaking a cotton ball in it and running over face.
- Put little moisturizer on hands and apply on face till it gets absorbed. People with oily skin must use an oil-free and light moisturizer. People with dry skin must use extra moisturizing creams.
- Add fresh fruits, vegetables in diet and take vitamin, chromium, zinc supplements.
- Teenagers must not wear heavy makeup on faces. If you have to, use water based products avoiding oil-based products.
- Drink at least 10 glasses of water in a day. Water is a best cleanser as it helps flushing out toxins of the body.
- Do not use oily products like pomades or hair spray on your hair.
- Do not pluck out pimple with bare hand as that may leave permanent spot on skin.
Oily hair causes facial oiliness. This is especially true for those who sport chin/shoulder-length hair. Most importantly, picking at or rubbing of acne blemishes is strictly contraindicated. Doing this can lead to permanent scarring and skin discoloration that will require measures like laser treatment to correct later on. Excessive exposure to sunlight is also a definite no – no – especially if one is using a compound like trenitoin, which increases the skin’s photosensitivity. Tanning lamps can cause the same harmful effect. Females affected with acne must rigorously scan the contents of their cosmetics before using them – only those without an oily base and with the tag ‘noncomedogenic’ (non-obstructing to skin pores) on the label should be used. It is also important to avoid sports headgear such as headbands and cycling helmets. Many fashion accessories that cover part of the facial skin can cause constriction or irritation, too.
- Avoid touching or popping pimples, as it will make them look a lot worse and damage your skin.