Caring for long hair can be a bit difficult. Unlike short or medium hairstyles, it will require a good deal of maintenance in order to look beautiful. If you want to have a long hairstyle, then it is important to have a good understanding of how to take care of it. Here are some of the most basic long hair care tips that you should know about.
Long Hair Care Tips
Follow these hair care tips to keep your long hair healthy and beautiful:
- Comb before Brushing: To remove tangles and facilitate brushing, you should always comb your long hair before you brush it. Always use a wide-toothed comb to prevent breakage.
- Drying Long Hair: No matter what the length of your hair, to prevent damage, air drying is the preferred method of drying. If you need your hair to dry quickly, after washing, gently blot moisture from your hair with a towel. Never rub your hair with a towel, as doing so can cause damage.
- If you must use a hair dryer, apply a thermal protection spray to your hair and set your dryer on its lowest and coolest setting. Dry your hair 80 percent and then allow it to air dry.
- Proper Brushing: Knowing how to properly brush your long hair can prevent damage, including breakage and split ends. Follow these steps to brush your long hair:
- First, bend forward at your wait and allow your hair to fall. In this position, brush your hair from the nape of your neck to the tips of your hair.
- Next, return to an upright standing position. In this position, again brush your hair from the nape of your neck to the tips.
- Finally, use the brush to brush the top layers of your hair with long, even strokes.
To avoid breakage, don’t over-brush your hair and never brush it while it is wet. Also, invest in a high-quality, natural-bristle hair brush.
- Proper Nutrition: Healthy hair comes from a healthy diet. To ensure that your hair is getting the nutrients it needs, eat a diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins. You’ll want to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables as well as lean sources of protein.
Shampooing and Conditioning Long Hair
When shampooing long hair, you’ll want to pick a shampoo that is appropriate for your hair type. For instance, if you have dry hair, pick a shampoo will add moisture.
Once you’ve chosen the appropriate shampoo, shampoo using these steps:
- Rinse your hair with warm water.
- Apply approximately one tablespoon of shampoo into the palm of your hand and add a splash of water.
- Rub your palms together and then spread the shampoo from your hairline to the ends of your hair.
- Use the pads of your fingers to work the shampoo into your scalp.
- Rinse with warm water, making sure to remove all of the shampoo.
You’ll need to follow your shampoo with a conditioner, unless your hair is excessively oily. Again, choose a conditioner that is appropriate for your hair type. In order to prevent oily hair, you’ll want to avoid getting the conditioner directly on your scalp. Instead, apply the conditioner only to your hair, paying special attention to the ends.
If your hair is fragile or damaged, you might want to try using a deep conditioner or a hot oil treatment once or twice a month.