When summer approaches, you know what that means: heat, humidity and more heat! Besides lots of fun in the sun, it’s time to tweak your hair care routine to make it through the season with a healthy head of hair. If you don’t normally make changes to your style routine when the seasons change, it’s a good idea to get into this habit.
The effects of sunlight on our hair can be compared to the ones of hair dryer. How to protect our hair in summer in the most effective way? Below, you can find some tips on summer hair care.
Summer Hair Care Tips
- Wear a scarf, hat or cap to protect your hair from the sun but make sure that it’s not so tight that it will restrict circulation in your scalp.
- If you know you are going to be in the sun for a long time and if you don’t want to wear anything on your head, use a leave in conditioner with sunscreen in it before you go out.
- If you are outside and forgot to put leave in conditioner with sunscreen in your hair, you can put regular sunscreen in your hair, but make sure you rinse it out with a deep cleansing shampoo when you get home.
- Limit your use of “hot” items on your hair such as a blow dryers and curling irons.
- If you need to use a “hot” item, use a leave in conditioner before using the item on your hair.
- Avoid taking hot showers or washing your hair in hot water, use warm or cool water instead, the heat can dry out and/or damage your hair and skin.
- Staying hydrated is important for healthy hair as well as your overall health, so make sure that you are taking enough water.
- Avoid hair products with formaldehyde or alcohol in it which dry out hair, try to use natural products that are gentler on your hair.
- Try washing your hair less often; shampooing your hair strips the moisture out of your hair.
- Use a conditioner on your hair daily.
- Try using a dry shampoo if you need to wash out your hair, one dry shampoo you can use is baby powder, simply sprinkle some onto your hair and use a comb to comb it off.
- Use a mositurizing shampoo that is gentler than your regular shampoo for the summer.
- Before going into the pool/ocean wet your hair, this will decrease the absorption of chlorinated/salt water into your hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo after swimming to wash out the chlorine/salt and any residues that may be in your hair. Chlorine will severely dry out your hair if it is not washed out.
- Get your hair trimmed every six to eight weeks, your hair grows faster in the warmer months and frizzies are more common in the summer months due to the heat and moisture.
- Hair products that have the word, “Replenish” on it is made to moisturize your hair.
- Knotting your hair, braiding it or wearing it up or in a bun will help contain frizzies.
- Putting conditioner on the frizzy areas of your hair and sleeping with your hair up or with plastic around your hair will help remoisturize the dry areas of your hair.
- Once you have your hair moist, lock in the moisture by running your hair through cold water, this will also give your hair an extra shine.
Related Posts Links: