Sometimes, the flakes may even be yellowish in colour. The scales, along with oil and sweat secretions, tend to stick to the scalp, which requires treatment. In many cases, the scalp may be oily, while the hair is dry and dull. This is because the pores of the scalp become clogged and this interferes with the proper distribution of natural oils. Certain hair styling products or rich conditioners can also lead to a build-up on the scalp.
Causes of Dandruff in Hair
Dandruff is caused by micro-organism called pityrosporum-ovle which are present in every body’s scalp. Symptoms of dandruff get aggravated when exposed to dust, UV light, harsh chemical based shampoo, hair dyes etc., this results in increase in number of microbes which causes unhealthy residue over the scalp which leads to dandruff, which is the cause of unhealthy scalp results in unhealthy, lifeless hair and may result in excessive loss of hair too.
Contrary to popular notions, dandruff is usually a result of too much oiliness of the skin and scalp rather than dryness. While mild dandruff may be caused by overactive oil glands, recent evidence suggests that the more severe dandruff associated with seborrheic dermatitis may be caused by an overabundance of Pityrosporum ovale, a yeast-like organism found on healthy scalp in low numbers. With the increased scaling and oiliness of seborrheic dermatitis, these yeast organisms thrive and multiply, aggravating inflammation and scaling.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
- Add 6-8 drops of lemon juice to an egg. Beat well and apply on your hair followed by washing with a herbal shampoo.
- Use a very mild shampoo and condition your hair at least twice a week. Make sure to rinse out the conditioner thoroughly.
- Amla, shikaki powder mixed with curd is a good conditioner and should be made use of.
- Massaging with aroma oils once a week reduces hair fall and makes them soft and silky. Rosemary oil and titri oil can also be used.
- Mix curd, lemon and mustard oil, apply gently on hair and wash your head after about half an hour.
- Add few leaves Hibiscus (China rose) to a glass of water. Heat it. The juice of a lime should be squeezed in the sieved mixture and it should be applied to the hair before shampooing.
- Take amla (100gm), shikaki (100gm), brahmi booti (10gm), shilajit (1/2 gm), anaarchhilka (20gm), bhringraj (10 gm). Soak them overnight in an iron utensil. Blend and make a paste. Apply well into the scalp. Keep it for 1-2 hours and wash it off with warm water.
- The oil from the amla, prepared by boiling dry pieces of amla in coconut oil, is a hair tonic for enriching hair growth and prevent hair loss.
- Use lavender or lemon shampoo if your hair are oily and if dry, use titri oil or rosemary shampoo too.
- Rinse hair with lemon juice or vinegar.
- Soak a towel in hot water and squeeze lightly. Cover your hair with this for 10 minutes and do try this for almost a week.
- Squeezed lemons can be soaked overnight and the water can then be used to clean the hair.
- Dry peels of lemon and oranges should be used. This will maintain soft and silky hair and also removes dandruff from the scalp.
- Drink 10-12 glasses of water daily and have a high protein diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and dairy products.
- Two tablespoons of fenugreek (methi) seeds soaked overnight in water. The softened seeds should be grounded into a fine paste in the morning and applied over the scalp & left for half an hour and then washed thoroughly. This is highly affective to remove dandruff.
- Mustard oil boiled with heena (mehndi) leaves is useful for the healthy growth of hair.