Good hair care between haircuts helps you to maintain healthy texture and shine. Hair is composed mainly of a protein called keratin. Coconut oil has been shown to protect hair from protein loss. However, coconut oil and other healthy oils are selectively used in shampoos, conditioners, mousses and gels. An at-home hair treatment with heated coconut, olive or jojoba oil can help you keep your hair healthy, but allow you to continue with your normal hair-care routine. This article will show you how to make a hot oil treatment for hair.
How to Make a Hot Oil Treatment for Hair
- Type Of Oil – The first step to hot oil treatment for summer hair care is to choose one essential oil. The type of oil depends on your hair quality. Thin hair need lighter oil and more coarse hair needs heavy oil. The best oils for hair are olive, jojoba and coconut oil.
- Warm The Oil – Never heat the oil directly on fire. This results in a reaction, which makes the oil fatal. Thus, the best way to warm the oil is to dip the container in warm water. The oil needs to be luke warm.
- Apply Oil – Now part your hair into two and apply oil to it. It is best to apply the oil with a comb or with cotton. Comb assures even distribution of oil and also massages the scalp. Combing your hair in one direction with minimal pressure is a good massage. Dip a small piece of cotton and dip it into the oil. Then use the soaked cotton to spread the oil evenly on your head. Make sure that you have applied oil thoroughly to the hair, even on the tips. While applying oil your might find loss of hair but they are just dead hair which have come off.
- Massage – The most important step to the treatment is massage. With your finger tips, massage the scalp in circular motion. It boosts cell growth and assures enhanced blood circulation which promotes healthy and strong hair. Massage your head for 20 minutes.
- Warm Towel – Dip your towel in warm water and squeeze out all the excess water. Tie your head with it and cover it up with another dry towel. This will help capture the heat inside. The heat helps infuse the oil deeper in the scalp, thus conditioning and treating the hair. The towel has to be kept for 45 minutes.
- Wash Your Hair – After removing the towel, wash your hair using a mild shampoo and use warm water. Using cold water after the treatment will result in hair loss. Use a mild conditioner.
Hot oil treatment recipes
Avocado Oil & Jojoba Oil Recipe
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 tbsp Jojoba Oil
- 1/4 tsp Marsh Mallow Root
- 1/4 tsp Comfrey
- Heat the avocado oil and jojoba oil in the oven, on high temperature, for 15 seconds.
- Add marshmallow root and comfrey into the warm oils and stir the mixture gently.
- Let the mixture cool for 2-3 minutes and then, strain it into a small cup.
- First test the oil to see whether it has cooled down enough for application or not. The oil has to be warm, though not too hot for the scalp and hair.
- Massage the oil gently on your scalp and hair, using your fingertips.
- After you have massaged thoroughly, wrap the hair in a plastic wrap and wait for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair with cool water.
Rosemary Hot Oil Treatment
- 1/2 cup Rosemary Leaves (dried)
- 1/2 cup Soybean Oil
- Combine rosemary leaves and soybean oil in a pan and heat them until they are warm.
- Strain the mixture through a fine strainer (cheesecloth will also do!).
- Coat the mixture on the entire head. Using your fingertips, work it to the end of your hair strands.
- Now, wrap your hair in a plastic warp, followed by a hot towel.
- Leave the oil on your hair for 15 minutes or longer, for best results.
- Shampoo your hair to remove the oil completely.
Ginger Hot Oil Treatment
- Ginger Root
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Squeeze ginger root to obtain, at least, one tablespoon of juice.
- Mix sesame oil, lemon juice and ginger juice well.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp, massaging gently with the fingertips.
- For obtaining best results, massage three times a week.