Basically there are two types of permanent hair removal. There is the laser hair removal & electrolysis hair removal. Though many consider the former one to be the optimum method in removing hair permanently, electrolysis hair removal is a time-tested method that was invented 100 years ago to remove unwanted eyelash hair.
Also, it is a fine choice for someone who has a very light skin or gray hair, since the results of laser hair removal may not be that favorable for them. The medical procedures of electrolysis wipe out the growth center of the hair by use of chemical or heat energy.
We have all seen the hairy beasts at the pool or on the beach, covered with hair everywhere. It is just unsightly and gross. Maybe these guys are unaware of the solutions for them. Really, we all have unpleasant body hair we want to get rid of, whether it is an unsightly mustache or waves of back hair.
Every solution available for permanent hair removal come with their own benefits and downsides. Permanent hair removal is not necessary permanent, meaning you will still have to have an occasional body hair removal treatment, about once a year. But having to go through just the occasional hair removal treatment is still great results for most.
This should be good news to you as you can now perform the treatment in the comfort of your own home. The machine you need to use to perform electrolysis can be bought and use at home, you can operate it yourself. To obtain effective result its better if it is done by a professional dermatologist. And they will be prepared to help in the event if there are any minor complication following your treatment right there.
If you want to do it yourself and hoping to get an equally good result, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guide and follow professional advice. Failure to follow the procedure and advice can result in skin damage. In order to carry out the treatment at home you will need couple of things.
Types of Electrolysis Hair Removal:
This is one of the oldest methods used. This also requires a lot of treatment procedures. A DC current is passed through a filament which is inserted to the hair follicle. Due to this discharge, a chemical reaction takes place at the hair follicle & sodium hydroxide (also known as lye). This destroys the hair follicle.
Water molecules are present in the vicinity around the hair follicle. When an AC current is passed through a needle, it produces a vibration among these molecules. These vibration causes heat which destroys the hair follicle. This method is much faster but less dependable than a Galvanic Electrolysis.
This method tries to amalgamate both the methods of galvanic and thermolysis in order that the advantages of both methods can be utilized. Here an AC & DC current is both transmitted into the needle at the same time. This process is much quicker than the galvanic method.
Electrolysis Hair Removal at Home:
Many a times, people confuse electrolysis with laser hair removal. Both the methods have distinct methods and equipment to remove hair from your body. If you want to read more in detail about their differences, here’s an article on laser vs electrolysis hair removal system that you can go over.
- You can purchase a home electrolysis hair removal kit from a beauty shop (make sure it’s a reliable place). It usually contains an electric tweezer, the electrolysis rod, and a portable electrolysis machine.
- Once you have purchased the kit, you need to ready the room or bathroom you’re going to be in.
- Get a long mirror (so you can see the area you’re going to be working on properly), a bowl of salt water (to dip your fingers in), and a clean towel (to wipe yourself). Keep the bowl of salt water near you, dip your fingers in it (so the current passes through the needle and into the roots), and hold the metal part of the rod. The electrolysis rod’s center section will have a metal part.
- Now you insert the needle in the root of the hair follicle and work on it from the bottom up.
- Place the needle inside the hair as the growth and don’t point it downwards while working. Find the root of the hair and then turn the electrolysis dial to 3 or 4
- You will feel a tingling sensation (this means it’s working nicely). If you don’t feel anything, you can have to increase the dial a bit. But make sure you don’t turn it up to high as it may burn your skin.
- Keep the needle in place till you can spot white fluid bubble coming out of the root.
- Be very gentle while removing the needle. If there isn’t any fluid, you may need to repeat the steps again.
- Sometimes, in particular areas, you might have to repeat the steps more than once. Plan your sessions according to your convenience.
- Use tweezers to remove dead hair once you’re finished. If you missed a root or a particular spot, you can always try again.
These were a few things that should be kept in mind if you plan to do home electrolysis hair removal. The whole electrolysis procedure is quite wearisome and requires great skill. So if you are not sure whether you can do it at home, it is recommended that you get it done from a professional as it is better to be safe than sorry.