So you have decided to immerse yourself in the fantasy of luxurious beauty that is going to define you as you go through the laser hair removal treatment. But the journey of the experience starts much before the actual permanent hair removal solution starts. There are several steps that you need to take before and after the laser hair treatment which will ensure that you have a quick, permanent and safe hair removal solution.
There are many methods like waxing, plucking, shaving, hair removing creams and bleaching that are temporary hair removal methods. In the case of temporary methods, hair grows back in a week or fortnight and the same procedure has to be repeated every time. Applying chemicals to the skin so often can cause skin rashes thus, damaging the original texture of the skin. Therefore, people opt for permanent hair removal that guarantees no hair growth after the successful completion of the treatment. Electrolysis and laser treatment are the permanent hair removal methods.
Electrolysis is done by inserting a very thin metal probe under the skin to the root of the hair. The root contains the follicle. Electric current is passed in the follicle through the probe, which damages that area. Damaged hair follicle is unable to grow hair. Electrolysis is considered to be expensive, painful and can cause permanent skin damage. If not done by well-trained professionals, it can lead to skin infection. There is also a possibility of regrowth after electrolysis.
Laser hair removal technique eliminates all the drawbacks of electrolysis. It is less painful as there is no direct contact of any instrument with the skin. A beam of laser or intense light is passed through the skin. This beam basically targets the dark area i.e. melanin. Melanin is present in the hair follicle and gives the hair its color. Laser treatment works better for dense hair. It works fine for dark skin color but better for light skin. Since it targets the dark area under the skin, darker melanin i.e. darker hair can be removed effectively.
There are certain precautions that need to be taken during and after hair removal. If the recommended tips are followed carefully, the problems occurring due to hair removal can be reduced:
- If you are going for a laser hair removal method, inquire about the efficiency of the clinic, doctors and treatment methods from reliable sources.
- Do not rely on verbal commitments and check the procedure details in the treatment brochure.
- Carefully check the terms and conditions before signing any papers.
- Confirm the total cost of the treatment, specially any hidden costs incurred if the treatment has to be changed halfway through.
- Ask for a skin test on a smaller part of the body.
- Inquire which kind of treatment will suit your skin type.
- Inquire the kind of radiations to be used and the type of pain relievers available.
- Avoid taking the treatment if you are suffering from any skin problems or skin disorders.
- Avoid tanning treatments or creams at least 1 to 2 months prior to the treatment.
- If the skin is tanned, then wait till the tan is gone else, the treatment won’t be effective.
- Avoid hair removal by any temporary methods at least 1 month before going for the laser treatment.
- Carry out the pre-treatment instructions carefully as specified by the doctor.
- Do not apply lotions, creams, makeup, perfumes or body sprays before the treatment. This can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Do not take any medications before the treatment without a doctor’s guidance.
- If you want to apply any comforting creams or lotions before the treatment begins, consult a doctor.
- Make your requirements very clear to the person treating you, so that unnecessary areas are not affected.
- During the treatment, take care to cover the sensitive areas of the body, specially the eyes, as radiations can damage body cells. Wear laser-proof goggles.
- In case the treatment is causing any discomfort or pain, an anesthesia cream can be applied.
- Follow the post-treatment instructions carefully. Hydrating cream advised by the doctor should be applied, to keep the skin moist.
- Apply sunscreen with SPF30, at least half an hour prior to sun exposure.
- Tanning should be avoided for a month or two after the laser treatment.
- In case of pain, swelling or any other side-effects, contact a doctor.
When you go for Laser hair removal processes you should opt for newer neodymium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser, which basically suits every skin type. If you are interested in removing light or gray hair you can go for a method called intense pulsed light that uses a broad spectrum of non-laser light.
Whatever skin type you have this process promises perfect results and always prevents abnormal scarring, allergies, excessive sun exposures and herpes infection.