Diabetes has become a very common heath problem. The main cause is lack of adequate insulin production to manage the level of glucose in your blood. Despite various researches done and precautions taken, one cannot predict who will suffer from diabetes. Depending on the type and severity, every diabetic patient should be given medications.
There are various best natural remedies for diabetes that will help you control your blood sugar level. Here are a few natural ways that you can try. However, if you’re on diabetes medication, don’t stop taking them at once.
The Best Natural Remedies for Diabetes Patients
- Cinnamon: Powdered cinnamon has the ability to lower blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin activity. It contains bioactive components that can help prevent and fight diabetes. Mix one-half to one teaspoon cinnamon in a cup of warm water. Drink it daily. Another option is to boil two to four cinnamon sticks in one cup of water and allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Drink this solution daily until you see improvement.
- Stevia, a naturally sweet plant makes an excellent sugar substitute without the drawbacks of sugar. Stevia can be used in cooking as well. Visit your local health food store or look online for cookbooks that utilize stevia in place of sugar.
- Fenugreek seeds are rich in sugar-lowering properties. Even the leaves of this plant can be made as curry and consumed regularly. Fenugreek helps to reduce the insulin dependency when taken in regular intervals. A teaspoon-full of seeds should be soaked in a glass of water over night and the water along with the seeds should be drunk on empty stomach.
- Bitter Gourd: Most people are familiar with bitter gourd – an unpalatable yet healthy vegetable that is typically cooked in tangy gravy to offset the bitterness.
- Omega 6 oils are also a relatively new addition to the diet. Oils in this category include vegetable, canola, cottonseed, soybean, corn, safflower, sunflower, etc.
- Black plum or jambul, also known as jamun can help a lot in controlling blood sugar level because it contains anthocyanins, ellagic acid, hydrolysable tannins etc. Each part of the Jambul plant such as the leaves, berry and seeds can be used by those suffering from diabetes.
- Consume a high fiber, whole foods diet and work to eliminate preprocessed junk foods from your eating regimen.
- Olive oil is believed to have beneficiary effects such as reducing the cholesterol and triglycerides level in the blood. It also helps to reduce blood sugar level. Cooking all foods with edible olive oil brings about this effect on the long run.
- Pterocarpus: A deciduous tree that occurs widely in the Deccan peninsula, Pterocarpus marsupium of the Fabaceae family is considered especially useful in people with type 2 diabetes.
- Papaya: It is recommended to consume papaya on a daily basis as it has natural blood sugar controlling capability that helps to control diabetes by and large. It is also a rich source of vitamin C and anti-oxidants along with carotene and flavoring.
These natural remedies can aid in controlling blood sugar levels, but you must also eat healthy foods in small amounts and make regular exercise part of your daily routine.
You might also want to take a look at our previous articles: