Emo makeup is a new trend for those intrigued by the punk fashion forward scene. It’s quite a mix between rock styles and goth. Today both boys and girls engage in emo makeup application and carry the emo style through not only with their makeup but also with their clothing, music, hair and way of thinking. Emo is truly a lifestyle.
Are you interested in learning how to apply emo eye makeup? Before we move on to emo eye makeup, let’s first understand the meaning of the term emo. The term ’emo’ is the short form of emotional. Emo is a subculture which is linked to the hardcore punk rock scene in the mid 1970s. It is associated with the evolution of a genre of music which reflected the thought process of the emo people. Those who are a part of this subculture have a different sense of fashion and art.
As far as the fashion is concerned, those who wish to carry the emo look, wear dramatic makeup and dress up in a unique manner. Being sensitive, emotional and touchy are the typical personality traits of emo people. Their leanings are towards dark poetry and the gloomy side of life and this is also reflected in the way they carry themselves. Emo people can be seen wearing black clothes and dramatic eye makeup. Their dramatic and dark eye makeup is an important part of their look. Read more on emo fashion and hairstyles.
You will Need:
- Eye liner
- Masking Tape – optional
- Black or Red eye shadows or any strong colors
- Black kohl
Emo Eye Makeup Tips:
- Using a sponge, apply powder, liquid foundation or concealer to your face. Make sure to use a shade that matches your skin tone or is slightly lighter. For boys, use foundation or concealer to hide imperfections only.
- Apply eye shadow to your eyelids using a small eye shadow brush. Darker colors and bright neons, such as dark browns, dark blues, reds, pinks and turquoises give the best effect in case of girls. While for boys, stick to basic black or charcoal. Apply a little eye shadow under the eyes. You can also try contrasting colors for a softer look.
- Next would be to apply liquid or stick eyeliner to the bottom lash, starting from the inside corner. Apply the liner in one continuous line for smooth results.
- Apply the eyeliner again, this time about 3 to 4 layers to get a thicker line and build up a solid black effect. To add more vibrancy, add a streak of color eyeliner, if you desire.
- Apply eyeliner on the eyelid, close to the eyelashes. Make sure that the eyeliner is consistently smooth on both the top and bottom lash lines. For boys, it is advisable not to apply the eyeliner to the top lid. However, if required, apply a softer line.
- While applying eyeliner, ensure that the eyeliner ends meet up at the corners of the eyes. The effect should be that of catlike, keeping the line slating upwards towards the temples.
- Apply black mascara to the upper eyelashes only. Care should be taken to avoid the mascara from smudging onto the eyelid, while applying. However, you can apply mascara to the lower lashes also, if your wish.
- Keep the lips simple and avoid heavy gothic lipstick. You can use light or nude lip gloss, lip balm or pale lipstick for the perfect emo look. However, you can opt for a darker lipstick if it matches your skin tones.
Some Additional Tips:
- Firstly, make sure that your makeup room is well lit.
- If you are finding it difficult to thicken your eyeliner, use a small amount of black eye shadow on the eyeliner brush to get the smoky effect.
- In case you have oily skin or sweat, use a primer below your eye color to prevent it from running.
- Try wearing your eye shadow on the bottom of your eyelashes to enhance the look.
- Experiment with colors like magenta, purple, lilac, olive or deep blue for a dramatic effect.
- Use volumizing mascara with a glossy shine or put long fake eyelashes for a theatrical effect.
- Add more every day or even every week as the previous steps suggest.
- Don’t over do your makeup, particularly on a boy. It should be subtly darker, not Gothic.
- Do not come out one day looking emo, you will be considered a poser and that’s the worst thing you can be called.
- Don’t just do this for somebody’s attention. If they don’t like you the way you are, forget them.
- Don’t do this just to make your parents mad, because if you’re a prep, and come out of your room in the morning looking emo, you’re bound to get yelled at.