Makeup brushes can become coated not only with makeup residue, but also with body oils and dead skin, making them havens for bacteria that will decrease the life of your brush. They transfer old makeup, germs, and bacteria each time you use them. Want to avoid this? Below are some tips and pointers on how to keep your makeup brushes clean.
What You Will Need
- Tea tree oil
- Baby wipes
- Mild shampoo
- Warm water
- Dry towel
- Sink or small bowl
The 5 Best Ways To Clean Makeup Brushes
- First of all, you want to wet the hairs under the faucet with tepid to warm water with the hairs pointing downwards – this will help prevent any water getting in to the ferrule (metal part) or down in to the handle for brushes that don’t have ferrules.
- Put a drop of baby shampoo on the bristles. Put a heavy drop on for blush, foundation, and kabuki brushes, and small drops for concealer, eyeliner, and other small brushes.
- Place your brushes in the solution and gently rub the bristles between your fingers for at least 30 seconds for each brush.
- After your brushes have a good bath, brush them off a little on a clean paper towel and lay them to dry on their side on a paper towel or a regular towel.
- Lay the brushes flat on a towel overnight. Rotate the brushes or flip them over after a few hours if you desire.
Keeping your brushes in good condition by washing frequently will provide you with years of beautiful makeup application! Now that’s a great investment!