Morning sickness is a feeling of nausea or vomiting experienced by pregnant women mostly during the first trimester. Initially, morning sickness may provide comfort to the newly pregnant woman because it reaffirms that she is indeed pregnant. Also it has been shown that pregnancies with morning sickness have higher success rates.
However, after a few bouts of nausea, this comfort is quickly replaced with a desire for relief. If you are experiencing morning sickness, there are some things you can try to get rid of morning sickness.
- Slightly changing you eating habits. You would improve the condition better by eating small meals daily rather than three big meals. You could maintain your blood sugar concentration. By doing this, you can also avoid indigestion and heartburn significantly. Go for low-fat, simple carbohydrate diet instead of your usual meals.
- Avoid strong smells from food or scents. If you can’t do away with those types of smells, you can carry with you a hanky with a drop or two of your favorite essential oil. Sometimes, even those scents we previously love will worsen the condition so, it is better that you avoid them as well.
- Keep plain cracker or biscuit near your bed so that when you wake up in the middle of the night of at the crack of dawn, you can eat it up to raise your blood sugar before you go about in your day.
- Do not forget to drink plenty of water daily for at least six to eight glasses. Fluid intake is important especially when you are vomiting to keep you from dehydration. Avoid beverages that are caffeinated or drinks that contain a lot of sugar that will disturb the proper settling of you stomach.
- Morning sickness usually gets worse whenever you face exhaustion, tiredness, anxiousness or stress. Therefore, it would be very important if you get plenty of rest as much as you can. Spend a little time each day for relaxation so that even if you are working, your body can still go on.
- Take vitamin supplements especially ones that are rich in vitamin B6 because studies show that it relieves the nauseous feeling during pregnancy. But, before considering this, you should confer with your doctor first. Vitamin B12 is believed to help as well.
- Acupuncture, reflexology and aromatherapy are some of the alternatives you can make use as well. However, you need to seek these forms of therapy from qualified and experienced practitioners.
- Peppermint of spearmint fumes and/or smell can also help you to relieve the symptoms of morning sickness for some women. Try those that do not contain sugar or keep a hanky with few drops of essential oils with mint so that you can quickly remove the queasy feeling.