Many people prefer whole wheat flour to the more common all-purpose flour. If you are trying to eat a more natural or organic diet, then you would want to avoid bleached flour and all-purpose flour is usually bleached. Whole wheat flour is generally not bleached. Since it is milled using the whole wheat kernel, hence the name, it has a higher nutritional value and a higher fiber content.
- 1 and ¼ cups (150g) of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large overripe banana
- ½ cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey (21g)
- 1 tbsp molasses (20g)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp of quick oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Mix and double sift the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- In a medium bowl mash the banana with a fork. Add the egg whites, yogurt, honey, molasses, applesauce and extract. Whisk until well blended and a bit “frothy”.
- Mix the sifted flour with the banana egg mixture until just moistened. Don’t over mix!
- Spray a 6 muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly distribute the batter in the muffin tin cups. Sprinkle with quick oats. Bake for about 18 minutes.