Fajitas are traditionally prepared with beef, but if you would like a healthier version with less fat, this chicken fajita version of the traditional dish is for you. See the end of the recipe for instructions on making a vegetarian or vegan alternative to this dish.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut in wedges
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 mild green or red chile peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and cut in strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded/cut in strips
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, cut in strips
- 8 flour tortilla, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed, sliced
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet; cook the chicken strips over high heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until cooked. Drain and serve.
- Add the onion, garlic and chile peppers to the oil in the pan and sauté over high heat for 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and zucchini; cook over high heat for 4 minutes, or until the vegetables have begun to have a blackened look around the edges.
- Return the chicken to the pan and heat until sizzling hot. Serve right away, with warm tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, sliced green onions, and chopped tomatoes. Serve with hot cooked rice and refried beans, if desired.