Banana Bread has stood the test of time. You can tell a favorite recipe by how often it is used, and this recipe is one I return to again and again. In fact I often buy bananas expressly for making this bread, impatiently waiting for their skin to turn brown and their flesh to become soft and sweet.
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soda
- 4 cups flour
- 6 large bananas, very ripe, mashed
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas and chopped pecans.
- Pour banana nut bread batter into 2 well-greased loaf pans; bake at 325° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This banana nut bread recipe makes 2 loaves.