When we first saw this recipe, we thought, “Impossible.” No way a cracker made with just a handful of ingredients in about three minutes using a food processor could possibly rival a certain fish-shaped one in the store. There had to be a trick in there somewhere!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) grated extra sharp Cheddar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1-3 tbls. water
How To Make It:
- A large bowl cream butter with an electric mixer until soft and smooth.
- Beat in cheese until well blended.
- In small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle into the butter mixture and beat until well combined.
- Pour in water or just enough to help the dough cohere (it will be crumbly). do not over beat.
- Gather the dough into 2 balls and knead 2 or 3 times then roll each ball into a cylinder 1 1/2″ in diameter.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill the logs at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours (or freeze for up to 2 weeks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice logs into rounds less than 1/4″ thick.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- To store place in a tin and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.