Let your tongue taste the somewhat different twist in this Fried Cake ! Yes, here’s a simple, yet different recipe for your favorite Fried Cake . Try it and relish!
- 1 medium-sized stale spongecake
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut spongecake in slices 1/3 inch thick.
- Cut into round or square shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Combine milk, cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Dip pieces of cake in this mixture and allow to drain on absorbent paper.
- Combine egg yolk, salt and water and beat well.
- Stir in flour.
- Fold in egg whites and butter.
- Dip cake pieces in this batter and fry in deep hot fat (365°F.) until lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve piping hot, sprinkled with sugar if desired.