Try this recipe for a quick and easy homemade enchilada sauce recipe and make your own home made enchilada sauce. This Mexican food recipe is both vegetarian and vegan. Use your homemade enchilada sauce to make portabella mushroom enchiladas or try these vegetarian black bean and veggie enchiladas.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.
- Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.