The perfect dish to take straight from the oven into hungry stomachs in the morning. These mostly egg filled concoctions usually require food you already have stocked for breakfast with a twist or two in ingredients for pizazz. Prep time is easy and taste buds are happy!
Also a great way for putting together leftovers. Breakfast casseroles are hearty enough for an activity packed day and convenient enough to make for large groups or smaller groups with large appetites! So forget those taste prohibitive diets for a moment and dig in!
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Butter to grease pan
- 6 slices of Texas Toast (thick cut, crusty white bread)
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained of fat
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they loosen up. Add the half and half, and green onions. Mix well, highly season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Butter a 12 by 10-inch baking pan. Line the pan with the bread, cutting and rearranging, if needed. Sprinkle the bread with the cooked sausage and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the entire pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook covered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the egg mixture is set.