Sounds like a slogan, somewhere? No! I just thought to gather some unique, healthy, easy and most especially homemade empanada recipes that you can actually try at the comfort of your home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 pound lean steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- To make dough: In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in the shortening till pieces are the size of small peas. Add a small amount of water to slightly moisten. Form dough into a ball. Roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick and cut into 4-inch circles. Lightly flour both sides of circles.
- To make fruit filling: In a saucepan combine fruit, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Heat over medium heat until hot, thoroughly mixing.
- To make meat filling: In a medium skillet saute the onion and green pepper in olive oil. Add tomato paste, water, and vinegar, and cook for 20 minutes. Add meat and coat thoroughly with the sauce.
- Place a large spoonful of one of the above mixtures to the center of a dough circle. Place another circle on top. Fasten the two circles together by pressing the edges with a fork. These may then be baked in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown.