Mexican cuisines are varied, delicious and famous all over the world. Out of these, tacos are their traditional food recipe with chopped vegetables and/or meat, rolled in corn or flour tortilla.
- 1½ lbs / 750g ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- oil for shallow frying
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper,diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder – optional
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup beef stock
- 12 hard taco shells – allowing 2 per person
- Heat the oven to 350° F / 180° C.
- Brown the ground beef in 4 – 5 batches. If you attempt to brown it all at once you will land up with a gray mush. Set aside.
- Fry the onion until it is soft and has taken on a rich, brown color. This helps to give flavor to the dish.
- Add the garlic and bell peppers. Fry until the peppers have softened. Add back the ground beef.
- Add the cumin and paprika (and chili, if used).
- Add the tomato ketchup and the beef stock.
- Put a lid on the casserole pan. Bake for about one hour, until the mince is soft and the gravy is rich.
- Put the taco shells on a baking sheet and heat for 5 minutes.
- Fill the warmed taco shells with the ground beef. Serve immediately with guacamole, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and red kidney beans.