Perfect for a potluck or for just hanging out at home, this layered taco salad is filled with flavor. If you choose, make it a day ahead for ease on serving day. If you want a little extra zip, substitute Monterey Jack (pepper jack) cheese with peppers.
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 6 ounces tortilla chips (about 60 chips)
- 12 cups sliced iceberg lettuce
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large sweet yellow or red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the salsa and lime juice; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle with taco seasoning; stir to coat. Remove from the heat.
- Divide tortilla chips among six plates. Layer with the lettuce, tomatoes, beans, cheese, yellow pepper, beef mixture, onion, salsa mixture and sour cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.