A British pastry – the mincemeat pie, can be cooked in a variety of ways. This is traditionally eaten during Christmas and New Year. These are generally prepared with a pastry top. Today, one can even find vegetarian versions of the mincemeat pie where meat is replaced by vegetable fat. Here, we shall take a look at some delicious mincemeat pie recipes.
- 9 inch unbaked Basic Pie Shell
- 1/2 lb. beef stew meat
- 2 med apples
- 1 orange with rind
- 1/2 lemon with rind
- 1/4 lb. suet
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash mace
- Prepare, but do not bake, pie shell.
- Place stew meat in covered saucepan; cover meat with water.
- Place over medium heat and cook about 1 hour, or until very tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Core apples and slice; cut orange and lemon into small pieces.
- Combine beef, suet, apples, orange and lemon in food processor or food chopper, chopping into coarse-meal consistency.
- Pour back into saucepan, add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 25 minutes.