My mom has been making this basic sloppy joe recipe for so long that when I asked her how she made them, she had to make a batch to be sure of the measurements. These are no fancy joes – nothing but lots of sloppy, zesty mess! Beef may be used instead of turkey. Perfect for potluck or game day.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.