Taco Bake is a specialty of Marlene Logan’s in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Her hearty dish is perfect for a hungry family or to serve to company.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 8 ounces shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (18 ounce) package corn tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and drain fat. Add the diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, water, sour cream and taco seasoning mix. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish, place a layer of tortilla chips. Cover with a layer of the meat mixture then a layer of cheese. Repeat this process until the last layer is cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.