Cheddar is a classic cheese for an omelet, but any cheese that can be grated is fine. Experiment. We like to use clarified butter for an omelet as it doesn’t burn. It you don’t have it, use 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil. The oil will prevent burning, but keep an eye on it.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup cheese,grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons clarified butter (or oil)
- Mix together all ingredients except the butter. Put the butter in a skillet (or crepe pan if you are so lucky!) heated to medium. Lifting away from heat, swirl butter around. Return to heat and add the egg mixture.
- Working with a small spatula run around the edges of the egg as it cooks. Pull eggs back, tip the skillet slightly and allow uncooked egg to run under the cooked edge. Continue to do this until the egg in the center is just a little moist,then sprinkle the grated cheese on one side. Roll the omelet in half and turn it onto a plate.