In England, Pancake Day is officially part of the nation’s calendar. The day before the Christian season of Lent is dedicated to the mass consumption of this slim, buttery, tender cake.
- 1 pint milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking-powder
- 1 cup cream
- pinch salt
- Sift flour, salt, and powder together.
- Beat eggs with sugar, dilute with milk and cream to a thin batter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients; add more milk or cream if necessary.
- Grease small frying pan and pour about 1/2 cup batter in it, turn pan round, that batter may cover the pan.
- put on hot fire; turn it and brown other side.
- Butter each cake and roll it up; sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.