What is biscuit tortoni? It is basically an ice cream made with eggs and usually heavy cream – sometimes combined with ground/chopped almonds or crumbled macaroons or even chopped cherries.
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 5 ounces amarettini cookies
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chopped almonds on a tray and toast in preheated oven until lightly colored and fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Crumble the cookies into 1/2 inch pieces by wrapping in a tea towel and tapping lightly with a rolling pin or mallet. Do not crush into small pieces. Place crumbled cookies in a medium bowl and sprinkle with rum. Toss with almonds and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until thickened. Pour in brandy and beat until soft peaks form. Spoon whipped cream over cookie mixture. In whipped cream bowl, now beat ice cream just until softened (with a flat whip, if available). Fold cookie and cream mixture into ice cream.