Cannoli is an authentic Italian dessert which belongs to Sicily. It is a delectable dessert with crispy fried cannoli tubes, that are filled with sweetened ricotta cheese and succade, a fruit extract which is encrusted with sugar crystals.
- cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 6 tablespoons Sherry Wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Sift the flour and add sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the center, add the sherry and work to a smooth, fairly stiff dough (add a little more sherry if necessary).
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured board for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow dough to reach room temperature.
- Roll as thinly as possible and cut into 3 1/2 inch circles.
- Roll circles around the tubes, moisten the edges with water and press down to firmly seal.
- Turn out ends of dough so as to flare slightly.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 350 – 375 F and fry several cannoli at a time in a fry basket until golden brown (takes about 1 minute).
- Lift out and drain on paper towels and remove cannoli tubes.
- Use your favorite filling to stuff the cannoli.