This classic recipe is a favorite in the U.S. South. It’s basically boiled eggs and toast layered with a cream sauce. This version of the recipe is written in the style of early cookbooks, so read through it thoroughly before you begin.
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 6 squares of buttered toast
- 1 1/2 cup White Sauce No. 2
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Separate the egg’s yolks and whites; chop the whites fine.
- Lay the toast on a hot platter and cover with the white sauce.
- Sprinkle with the chopped whites, then press the yolks through a ricer, sprinkle lightly over the chopped whites.
- Add the seasonings before serving.