This simple dish can be made the night before and then popped in the oven for brunch. It’s packed with cheese goodness and topped with a crunchy cornflake crust.
- 16 slices white bread, with crusts trimmed
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 7 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups cornflakes cereal
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- Lightly butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Cut bread slices into 1/2 inch cubes. Line bottom of pan with one half of bread cubes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and 1 cup Swiss cheese on top of bread cubes, reserve 1/2 cup Swiss cheese. Spread remaining bread cubes on top of cheese.
- Mix the eggs, milk, onion powder and mustard. Pour egg mixture over the bread. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place cornflakes in a bowl and drizzle with melted margarine. Spread cornflakes on top of casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes covered, then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.