You want to put your best face forward. African American skin needs to be maintained properly to look its best. Common problems among African-Americans are hyperpigmentation (dark spots) caused by scars from acne or other injuries to the skin and “ashy” or gray skin caused by not exfoliating properly. While African-Americans do have the advantage of natural protection from the sun (we’ve all heard the phrase “Black don’t crack.”, that doesn’t mean that Black skin care can be taken for granted.
Dark Skin Care
To maintain healthy black skin, one can choose from the many products especially designed for black skin available in the market today. Most of them are made out of shea butter, which, in the world of cosmetics, is a popular ingredient among emollients and skin moisturizers. Products with shea butter, when used for the face, for instance, can help develop and maintain the skin’s flexibility and can further protect it and when used for the whole body, can be relaxing and revitalizing.
Shea butter products are also ideal for use on sun damaged skin and can soothe chapped or rough skin. Many of those who use products with shea butter apply it before they go to bed and after their showers in the morning. They attest to the fact that products with shea butter have helped the skin regain freshness. All these are primarily because shea butter contains vitamins A, E and F as well as cinnamic acid, which acts as a natural sunscreen.
Moisturize Your Skin:
For making your skin glow all the time, you need to add as much extra moisture to it as possible. In case of a darker tone, the skin may seem dry and ash-gray without proper skin care. The best time when you can apply a moisturizer on your body is immediately after taking a shower or bath. However, you should ensure that you use a separate moisturizer for your face.
A majority of moisturizing products are too harsh to be applied on the face. If your facial skin is highly sensitive, the product might not get absorbed into the skin. Most of the moisturizing products have particular nutrients to treat problem areas without adding extra oils, perfumes, or other unessential elements. Use good quality moisturizers to get rid of dry skin.
Scheduled Skin Regimen:
In order to keep the skin healthy, it is very essential to make a daily skin care regimen. To remove an everyday buildup which comes from oil and other cosmetic products, try to use a non-abrasive cleaner. Stay away from harsh cleansers as they may lead to unwanted breakouts and inflammation.
In order to get even skin tone go for a specialized product for hyper pigmentation. Lastly, exfoliate the skin to get rid of dead skin cells. It is also recommended that one need to adopt a steady routine of getting the skin tested at least once in a month by a dermatologist.
Examine Your Skin Periodically:
Another crucial tip in skin care for black women is that you need to examine your skin for certain irregularities. Usually, Afro American women have a lower possibility of getting skin cancer as compared to women having lighter skin color. Nevertheless, there is still a slight possibility of them getting skin cancer.
You need to adopt a steady routine of getting your skin tested at least once in a month. Check for dark spots that previously were not apparent on your skin. If you have some marks at present, pay heed to any differences in shape, size, and tone. It is recommended to consult with a dermatologist who would let you know better about your skin condition.
Remove Black Spots
- Make a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and glycerin and apply it on the spots.
- Apply a mixture of mehndi and turmeric. For a piece of turmeric, 2-3 leaves of mehndi are used.
- Soak a chappathi in milk overnight . Make it into a paste and apply it on black heads. Repeat for several days .
- To remove wrinkles on the face, apply a mixture of sandalwood powder, rosewater and glycerin. Wash with cold water after some time.
- Make a paste with mehndi and oil and apply on the face.
- Apply the paste of turmeric and curry leaves on the face and wash it after 15 minutes.
- Grind dried basil leaf, neem and mint (100 gm each). Add some turmeric powder and rose water to make it in a paste form and apply it on the spots.
- Make a paste of saffron and add some honey , apply it on the face to remove black spots.
- Grind betel leaf and add a little coconut oil and apply it on the spots.
- To remove black spots. apply a paste of turmeric and basil.