Yogurt is often a staple for people who are trying to lose weight. Unlike fad diet foods, yogurt is front and center in the battle against obesity because of its nutritional value and versatility. It may be eaten as part of breakfast, lunch or dinner, and also as a filling midday or evening snack. Greek yogurt is one of the healthiest weight loss diet foods available, according to a Huffington Post article by Dr. Eric Braverman, author of the book “The Younger You Diet.”
Types of Greek Yogurt
Yogurt is generally available in grocery stores, sold in large containers or in smaller individual 4- to 8-ounce cup portions. Greek yogurt is one of many types of yogurt available in the dairy section of the grocery store. It is much thicker than traditional yogurt, which has a smooth consistency similar to pudding. Though plain Greek yogurt is best for you, it also comes in strawberry, blueberry, peach, French vanilla and a host of other flavors.
Weight Loss with and Greek Yogurt
- Yogurt is basically a simple food that contains many essential nutrients such as calcium and protein that keeps the body strong during the dieting process.
- Greek yogurt, which is high in protein and calcium, helps give a longer feeling of satiety which helps reduce food intake and increase weight loss.
- Yogurt is also fat-free or has a really low fat content so that dieters would not have to worry about getting fat from this delicious food.
- Add fresh finely chopped peppermint or coriander, onion and some spices like salt and pepper to the yogurt to create a tasty dip for your finger foods. This can be served with vegetable sticks or roasted potato chips. This small serving of dip has minimum of 70 calories in it.
- You can eat a bowl of greek yogurt with a pinch of salt as a quick, filling snack. Or even add steamed cornto a bowl of yogurt with salt and pepper. Taste of corn and sour taste of yogurt give it a tangy taste. It provides the body with fiber, carbohydrates, protein and essential micro nutrients. Corn can also be substituted with fruits like strawberry, mangoes, apples, peaches, bananas etc. This healthy snack would be around 240-270 calories.
- Yogurt is also a versatile food because it can be eaten and prepared in many nutritious ways.
- Yogurt can even be mixed with fruits or used as a healthy alternative for dressing various recipes such as healthy salads.
- Yogurt aids in the digestive process and keeps the intestinal system clean and healthy.
- Another healthy salad dressing option that just needs salt and pepper. This can be added to chopped carrots, bell peppers, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, rocket leaves, lettuce and even cabbage leaves. It gives the perfect creamy flavour and texture to the salad without taking away the health benefits unlike most of the packaged salad dressings available. 75 gms of salad with greek yogurt dressing will contain approximately 210 calories.
- If you don’t like milk or are lactose intolerant and looking for a change in taste then you can enjoy greek yogurt with breakfast cereals. Simply substitute milk with greek yogurt and add it to your bowl of muselli. The fiber of the cereal with its micro nutrients add along with the nutrition of greek yogurt for better health. A small serving will have approximately 215 calories. If you wish to add fruits then you can add another 50 calories to the original calorie count.