You can lose weight and firm the thigh areas with strategic exercises performed at home. Your legs contain large muscle groups suitable for cardiovascular activities that burn fat effectively while toning the muscles themselves. You can target these specific muscle groups and get firmer, leaner-looking thighs. Optimal leg exercises to tone the thighs include plyometric jumps, squats and lunges.
Leg workouts for women at home
- In this exercise, the person will work one leg at a time, in series. The starting position is standing straight with the feet close, and holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms naturally on the sides. The movement is as follows for the right leg: take a large forward step with the right leg while at the same time lower the left leg almost until the knee touches the floor. It is very important to maintain the back straight at all times. After the movement, slowly return to the starting position and switch legs.
- Before doing stationary bike, it must be properly configured. Seat should be set up in such a way that when the leg is extended to the bottom of the pedal stroke, there is still a slight bend in the knee. The handlebar then can be adjusted to comfort, but never too low as to cause back pain. 30 minutes every day and four days a week should be fine. Don’t stop during the 30 minute pedalling, so it is important to use a resistance that can be handled, increasing it gradually but never to its maximum. It is most important to maintain a high pedalling rate.
- The starting position of this exercise is with the fitness band attached to a door and to the left ankle. With the help of a chair and the weight over the right leg, the idea is to contract the inner thigh muscles, moving the left leg past the right one, until a contraction is felt, and then slowly return to the starting position. 20 repetitions for each leg will do the job and one more step to obtain thinner thighs will have been taken over.
- Among the most beneficial exercises to calves, thighs and buttocks, we have the squats. There are several types of squats. To perform the chair squat, a person must stand in front of the chair with the back toward the chair. Then slowly sit down in the chair, to finally return to the starting position but with the legs not totally extended.
- This exercise to obtain thinner thighs is one of the easiest to accomplish. It is just walk at a faster than normal rate, but not like a walking race, it’s more about that every step is a strong one, rather than a fast one. Strides at the beginning are going to be probably short and fast, but with time, a longer stride will be developed. Thirty minutes every day for 3 or 4 days a week will be fine. Don’t walk on incline roads or hills, because this can make leg muscles grow and they will look thicker.
- This exercise is pretty similar to exercise number four, but with an important difference. In the previous exercise all the motion happens in the same place, in this exercise, the person should walk with every large step, the movement implies real advancement.
- This exercise must be done with the help of a leg press machine typically found on every gym. Back must be firmly pressed against the back seat, and feet can be positioned differently depending on which part of the leg is working. This exercise is very simple with the help of the machine, it is important to remember the slow movement, flexing and then extending legs completely to achieve better results.
- This is another difficult one, and needs the help of an ankle weight. The starting position is like this: with the ankle weight on the left ankle, a person should stand straight with all the weight on the right leg. The movement consists in moving the left leg past the right leg, making the inner thigh muscles work. Finally, to complete the exercise the left leg should return to the starting position stopping when it is in front of the right leg. Between 15 and 20 repetitions a day are fine for a person who wishes to obtain thinner thighs.
- The movement of this exercise can prove to be difficult to master. The starting position is stand up straight with the feet shoulder width apart. With the dumbbells in the hands and the arms relaxed falling naturally from both sides of the body. Then slowly lower the body, until thighs are parallel to the floor. The back should be straight at all times.
- This exercise, although very difficult, can be done with some effort. The starting position is lying on the right side where the upper body is supported by the right arm. Also, the right leg should be straight while at the same time the left leg should be bent. The movement consists in lifting the right leg until a contraction is felt on the inner thigh muscles. The movement should be repeated 20 times slowly for each leg.