How to get rid of back acne is one of the most difficult questions in skin care. The skin on the back is not only hard to reach, it’s thicker than the skin on the rest of the body, making it resistant to treatment. The basic principles of getting rid of back acne, however, are the same as those for getting rid of acne anywhere else on the body.
Back acne is a bane for many young as well as old people. It is a misconception that acne affects only youngsters. On the contrary, it is quite common in people who are in their thirties and forties. Acne presents itself on the face and other body parts, including the back, as pimples, zits, blackheads, whiteheads, papules, pustules and cysts. The causes of acne include excess sebum production by the sebaceous glands, hormonal imbalances, hereditary factors, stress, food allergies and chemicals in cosmetics.
The back acne is usually caused by the sebum or bodily oil secretions that happen a lot in the back so as the face. This sebum then clogs up in the pores, making the initial phase of the acne which is whiteheads and then it goes further as blackheads. In addition with more bodily oil in the back area, there is also active sweat production in the back which keeps the back part constantly wet which is a place where bacteria thrives. All of these contribute to the making of back acne. Here are some of the things that you need to keep in mind in order to treat as well as prevent back acne.
Tips for Back Acne Treatment:
- To prevent pimples and acne, always make sure you take showers on a frequent basis, particularly after a hard day at work or a workout regime.
- While taking a shower, make use of a gentle cleaner, especially when you are having acne on your back. Dye-free cleansers are suggested. Ensure that the loofah is clean and free of soapy particles that might have been stuck to it from the previous shower. Scrub your back gently, while cleansing yourself.
- Always keep your fabrics clean, to prevent the production of acne on your back or any other body part. This is because dirty clothes easily attract bacteria, which may lead to acne and even skin allergies.
- While buying a body wash for shower, try to pick the one that has salicylic acid in it.
- You may make use of an anti-bacterial soap for bathing, in case you do not find body wash containing salicylic acid. Be sure not to over-wash your skin with the soap, because it would tend to irritate the skin and make it dry.
- Exfoliate your skin daily or at least on a weekly basis, to get rid of the dead cells that stick to the clogged pores and cause back acne. Since the skin on your back is harder than that on your face, it is generally safe to use an exfoliating product without being very precautious. However, make sure that the exfoliating cream/gel you use suits your body.
- Change out of sweaty clothes or workout wear as soon as possible. The tight fitting clothes that you exercise in trap the moisture of sweat, which breeds acne-causing bacteria.
- After going through a cleaning regime, you can apply topical cream, containing benzoyl peroxide, on the back. Though such creams are over-the-counter, it is advisable to consult a doctor first, before using them. Apply such creams on your back ten minutes before taking a shower. Do this twice a day, for better results.
- If you have sweated a lot, dry your back with a clean towel. Thereafter, wash your back with an exfoliating agent. It would ensure that your back remains scrupulously clean and gets rid of excessive dirt.
- There are a lot of topical products on the market that are available for commercial use. You can avail of these to put on your back. Just make sure that it will be safe to use and that you have done a bit of research prior to using the product. There are a lot of websites that have reviews for skin products.
We hope, with the above mentioned tips, now you know how to get rid of back acne at home. Besides these, staying away from the sun, as well as stress is also very important to prevent back acne from occurring in future. Applying sunscreen for the former and doing yoga for the latter, will help your cause too.