Olive oil is a great bet for your hair in case you need a fresh, healthier, silky and shiny hair. It can clean your hair and touch the scalp with some of is healing powers. Olive oil is also used for hair loss, hair strengthening and grey hair. In fact it has its applications in many more ailments.
Benefits of Olive Oil
Oleic acid (omega 9) makes up 55 – 85 percent of the fatty acids in olive oil. Don’t confuse this with the amount of free oleic acid which is the main factor used to determine the grade of the olive oil and the lower the better. Oleic acid aids in keeping our arteries supple and helps prevent cancer.
Researchers at the University of Oxford believe that olive oil may be just as effective in the prevention of colon cancer as fresh fruits and veggies. A diet rich in olive oil has been shown to reduce the incidence of colon., breast and skin cancers.
Olive oil promotes the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones naturally and lowers the incidence of gallstones.
It just tastes good. I guess I would have to say it is an acquired taste and some people just don’t like the bitter characteristic of some oils. There are olive varieties known for their mild flavour and olive oil pressed from ripe olives is smooth, mellow and buttery.
Olive oil is not hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenation creates dangerous trans-fats found in margarine and many other packaged foods. Please read this page for more information about hydrogenated oil and trans-fats.
Studies now indicate that extra virgin olive oil may help to lower blood pressure. Patients were able to reduce or eliminate the need for medications when olive oil was consumed on a regular basis.
Heart Health and Cholesterol
Extra virgin olive oil is high in polyphenols (a powerful antioxidant) and monounsaturated fat which contributes to lowering bad cholesterol. Read more about this health benefit here.
vitamins E, K, and A as well as polyphenols, squalene, oleocanthol, triterpenes and hundreds more micronutrients make olive oil a healthy choice. Read more about olive oil nutrients.
The best of olive oil benefits. Extra virgin olive oil is nothing but fruit juice extracted mechanically from olive fruit. There is no heat or chemicals used in the extraction process. My favourite and the most beneficial is a fresh organic unfiltered extra virgin olive oil. Follow this link for more information about olive oil grades.
This disease is associated with the clogging of arteries caused by cholesterol and saturated fat. Replacing other fats with olive oil will reduce the risk.
How to Use Olive Oil on Hair
- Put a small amount of olive oil in the palm of your hand and massage it into your hair. If you have a dry scalp, massage a small amount into the scalp, as well. If you have oily hair, massage it into your hair, but stay at least 1/2 inch from the scalp. Repeat the process of massaging small amounts at a time into the hair until the hair is entirely covered with olive oil.
- Shampoo the olive oil out of your hair with a mild shampoo. Give a light condition with your usual conditioner. Rinse it out completely. You will see that the olive oil treatment makes you hair much softer and much more manageable, as well as gives it some added shine.
- Pour 1/2 cup of olive oil into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds, or until warm.
- Place your hair loosely on your head and cover it with a plastic shower cap.
- Place a towel over your shoulders to protect clothing.
- Relax for at least 30 minutes while the olive oil is treating your hair.
Hair Treatment with Olive Oil
There are several products out there using olive oil to treat your hair, however, as a gift to make my readers forgive me for the lack of posting over the last month J, I am going to tell you how to prepare a completely natural treatment for hair based on olive oil:
Enough for 1 or 2 treatments, depending on the length and thickness of your hair
½ cup olive oil
5 drops of an essential oil
- Pour olive oil into a jar with a lid, then add the essential oil of your choice. Put the lid on the jar and shake well to disperse the essential oil. Let the mix sit for 24 hours in a cool, dark place. Shake again before use.
- Rinse hair with warm water. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil treatment in the palms of your hands and warm it by rubbing your hands. Gently massage the oil into the scalp using your fingertips, in a circular motion. Massage with care the entire scalp and then rub the ends of your hair.
- Take a plastic bag big enough to fit on your head and place it over your hair, secure it by tying or with a hair clip or clothespin, and let the oil to rest on your hair for at least a half-hour.
- Rinse well, then shampoo as usual, possibly using a delicate shampoo.