Not ready to be a silver fox? Sure, you can color your gray hair, but coloring your hair and maintaining the new shade can be time-consuming, expensive, and damaging to the hair itself. While you can’t stop nature from changing your hair color to gray, you can reverse the graying with some simple home remedies.
Causes of Greying of Hair
Persons suffering from chronic cold and sinusitis and those who use warm water for washing their hair are more likely to be victims of this condition. A faulty diet and mental worries are the two primary causes of premature greying of hair. Lack of some of the B vitamins, iron, copper, and iodine in the daily diet is said to be a contributory factor. The common factor remains that grey hair has some pigment left in it, but not the amount it had when it was the natural color. Heredity is also a predisposing factor. Other causes of premature greying of hair are an unclean condition of the scalp, drying it with an electric dryer, and use of hair dyes.
Remedies to Prevent Grey Hair
- Eat protein rich foods. Proteins Sources: sprouted whole grains, cereals, meat and soy in your diet.
- Eat foods rich in iron, minerals and vitamin A and B. Vitamin A Sources: dark green vegetables & yellow fruits. Vitamin B – Sources: fresh green leafy vegetables, bananas, tomatoes, cauliflower, cereals, liver kidney, yogurt, yeast and wheat germ. Minerals like zinc, iron and copper Sources: zinc red meat, chicken & green vegetable iron beef, dried apricots, red meat, parsley, eggs, wheat & sunflower seeds (Iron Rich Foods copper sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, crabs and oysters, egg yolk & whole grains.
- Eat foods rich in iodine such as banana, carrots and fish.
- Drink butter milk with a 2 teaspoons each of yeast and wheat germ will prevent and cure premature greying of hair.
- Rub Indian gooseberry (Amla) mixed in coconut oil into the scalp regularly. It can show wonderful results, your gray hair will turn black. Boil some dried amla pieces in coconut oil till it turns black. Apply this oil to prevent hair greying.
- Grate some fresh ginger. Mix with honey and place it in a jar. Eat 1 teaspoon everyday.
- Massage your hairs with coconut oil and lemon juice everyday.
- Boil some dried ribbed gourd torai in coconut oil till it turns black. Massage this oil in scalp and hair roots should be massaged into the scalp.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of table salt to a cup of strong black tea without milk. Massage this water on the scalp. Wash your hair after an hour.
- Boil some curry leaves in coconut oil and apply in scalp and hair roots.
- Make a paste of 2 tspn henna powder, 1 tspn yogurt, 1 tsp fenugreek (methi seed powder, 3 tspn coffee, 2 tspn basil juice and 3 tspn mint juice and apply to the hair. Wash hair with shampoo after 3 hours.
- Massage your scalp and hair with butter made from cow milk twice a week.