Shaving is one of those chores that most women accept as a part of their grooming regime, even though it is one of those things that they hate doing. The average woman will tell you that trying to remove body is a time-consuming and complicated process. There are some things that a woman can do that will make the whole shaving process slightly more bearable. These shaving tips for women will also help prevent shaving injuries.
Not every razor is going to be the same and for a woman this means avoiding the ones designed specifically for men. Unlike a men’s razor, a woman’s razor is designed to fit the contours of the female body and will pivot and allow for comfortable underarm, bikini and leg shaving. Some women have tried to use a straight razor when shaving only to find it irritates the skin, promotes nicks and cuts and is cumbersome and awkward to use. Avoid electric razors also which are not going to provide as close of a shave as a traditional woman’s razor. The best razor to use will have a triple or quadruple blade and will glide smoothly across the surface of the skin without causing irritation, cuts or nicks.
Choose Your Shaving Cream
For this sensitive body zone be sure to get and use a good shaving cream or gel, using soap is definitely out. The art of shaving, shaving cream for women (compare prices) is phenomenal for getting a smooth shave, moisturizing skin and preventing ingrown hairs.
Shave against the hair growth for the closest shave. For legs, for example, shave from the ankle up to the knee. You may find that you need to shift the direction of the razor on your thighs as the hair pattern is a little less predictable. Underarm hair also grows in multiple directions, so don’t just shave in an up and down motion. You’ll need to make diagonal strokes, shave from bottom to top, and so on, to get all of those pesky little hairs. If your skin is especially sensitive or you’re prone to ingrown hairs, you can shave in the direction of hair growth, but the result won’t be as smooth.
How to Shave Properly
The best way to get a close smooth shave and to say goodbye to nicks, cuts, scrapes and razor burn is to start with good quality equipment. A sharp blade on a razor is the most important thing a woman needs when trying to get the best shave possible.
- Do not shave dry skin. Wet your skin and let the moisture soften your skin. Shaving is a natural exfoliator and if your skin is dry, your razor will get blocked with dead skin and you are likely to nick yourself as well.
- Do not waste money by buying creams specially made for women, as they are almost the same as those made for men.
- To find the perfect razor you will just have to use all those available and choose the one that you like best. You can ask your friends who shave to recommend razors. Look for a razor with lubricated strips, pivoting heads and spring mounted multiple blades.
- Exfoliate before you shave to ensure that the dead skin cells do not clog your razor and prevent a close shave.
- For your legs you will have begin shaving from your ankles and then work upwards. For your underarms you will have to shave in every direction as hair grows in every direction under your arm.
- After you have finished shaving apply oil or moisturizer. The skin on your leg has few oil glands and hence may become dry.
- When hair curls back under the skin it caused ingrown hairs. To avoid ingrown hairs exfoliate everyday and use a glycolic acid body lotions.
- If you have a chronic case of ingrown hairs then use a lotion that is specially made for ingrown hairs, that is easily available at the chemists. Apply it in the morning and at night and the bumps will vanish within a few days.
- If you shave your legs coarse hair will grow back fast. Therefore consider waxing your legs at least.
After You Shave
- Moisturize legs, underarms, and the bikini area after shaving. You can use your favorite lotion or oil. This is especially important for legs as they tend to be one of the driest parts of the body.
- For an instant burst of color on your legs, you can mix a liquid or gel bronzer in with your lotion. Just be sure it’s dry before you get dressed, and check the likelihood of rub-off from your mixture of choice with your hand before leaving the house.