Baked Egg Cheese makes a great breakfast or brunch on Christmas mornings. Learn how to make/prepare Baked Egg Cheese by following this easy recipe.
- 4 whites of eggs
- 1 cup or four ounces grated cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A few grains cayenne
- 1 cup fine, stale bread crumbs
- Break whites of eggs into buttered baking dish or ramequins and cook them in a hot oven until turn white around the edge.
- Cover with a mixture of crumbs, cheese, and seasonings.
- Brown in a very hot oven.
- In preparing this dish, it is essential that the oven be very hot or the egg will be too much cooked by the time the cheese is brown.
- To avoid this, cover the eggs with white sauce before adding the crumbs.
- The food value of this dish is very close to that of a pound of beef of average composition.
- For those who are particularly fond of cheese, the amount of cheese in this recipe may be increased, thus making a much more nourishing dish.
- Or the amount may be reduced so as to give hardly more than a suggestion of the flavor of cheese.