Barley griddle cake is primarily an American with its fame spread across the borders. Throughout the world barley griddle cake is usually prepared by baking. It is a tasty side dish that can be enjoyed by all.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1½ cups barley flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Mix together white and barley flours, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in milk, beaten egg and melted shortening.
- Mix and beat well.
- Cook on slightly greased hot griddle on both sides until golden brown.