If you’ve run out of ideas for an inventive and interesting egg breakfast, try the sauce cum casserole dish Eggs Goldenrod. This breakfast treat mixes hard-boiled egg whites and simple white sauce into a thick stew that tastes delicious when poured on toast. Best of all, it requires little in the way of ingredients its primary components are just eggs, milk, flour and butter.
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, softened and divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- Cut eggs in half; remove yolks and set aside. Chop egg whites; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in egg whites; heat through. Spread each slice of toast with 1 teaspoon remaining butter. Pour sauce over toast. Force egg yolks through a sieve to break into small pieces; sprinkle over sauce. Yield: 2 servings.