Have you got any bread left over from yesterday that you don’t know what to do with? Here’s a great idea: you can prepare a typical country dish, made of breadcrumbs. It’s a traditional recipe found in practically all of Spain, although the recipe varies depending on the region. Perhaps it won’t appeal to you but it’s truly delicious and also has a great many calories! To help you digest it, what could go down better than a bottle of red wine?
- 4 thick slices stale country bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 4 tablespoons diced raw ham, bacon or gammon
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
- Remove the crusts and cube the bread. Sprinkle with water, season with salt and pepper and wrap in a tea towel for at least an hour (traditionally overnight).
- Heat the bacon fat and oil with the garlic cloves. When it smokes, discard the garlic and gry the ham, bacon or gammon and pepper.
- When they are done, remove them and add the cubes of bread. Cook these for 12-15 minutes, moving them constantly. When crisp, return the ham, pepper and season.