Something magical happens when you bake eggs with cream: They turn into a dense, silky custard, becoming much more than the sum of their parts. Notes: For easier oven transfer, set dish, or dishes if making more than one serving, on a large baking pan.
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 thin slices Virginia ham, about 1/2-ounce each
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter 4 (6-ounce) creme brulee ramekins with the butter and lay 1 slice of ham in each ramekin so that it sits flat on the bottom (it’s ok if it comes up the sides.) Crack 2 eggs into 2 separate small cups and pour simultaneously into 1 of the ramekins so that the eggs sit side by side on top of the ham slice. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining eggs. Place the 4 filled ramekins onto a baking sheet and transfer to the ove