This recipe for ratatouille in a crackpot can be chopped up and served as a standard ratatouille or you can use the vegetables in any way you like, maybe served as a vegetarian main dish or as a topping for a roasted vegetable primavera style pasta dish. These great tasting vegetables can be served hot or cold and even used to make vegetarian pizza. In the case of the vegetarian pizza, I would use a nice pesto as the sauce rather than the standard red tomato sauce.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 large onion. julienne
- 2 large zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red pepper, julienne
- 1 large green pepper, julienne
- 1 tomato, diced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Starting with the onions, layer the vegetables into your crockpot only using half of the amount you have.
- Add the herbs, spices, and the tomato paste.
- Layer the remaining vegetables into your crockpot.
- Cover the vegetables with the olive oil.
- Cook on low for between 7 to 9 hours.