We had clam fritters every time we went to Rhode Island. I looked for a recipe and finally found this one. Now we have them whenever we want.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup minced clams
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Beat the egg and gradually beat in the flour. Slowly stir in the milk, clams, salt, pepper and onion. If desired, stir in the green pepper. With hands shape mixture into 2 inch diameter patties.
- In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Fry the patties in the hot oil until golden brown. Place cooked fritters on paper towels to soak up any excess oil.