They are rectangular shaped little cupcake type things, but are very, very moist and more airy than a regular cupcake. I tried searching in old cookbooks, and found a recipe and tried it, but it came out very dense.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups sour milk
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Beat up the eggs, add meal and milk and mix well, add flour, sugar, soda, and salt sifted together.
- Now add extract and vegetable shortening, melted, and beat two minutes.
- Divide into vegetable shorteninged and floured gem pans and bake in moderate oven fifteen minutes.
- Sufficient for sixteen cakes.