Some people with sensitive skin require more cautious and special care for their skin. Weather and environmental conditions easily affects people with sensitive skin types, it reacts quickly to both heat and cold, and they are also prone to skin allergies when exposed to irritants found in cosmetic products or in the surroundings.
Herbal remedies are very good for sensitive skin, because they are free from the harsh chemicals that can cause skin problems. Generally, products that contain natural ingredients will be better for your skin and less likely to cause a sensitive skin reaction. Try the following remedies for some special sensitive skin care.
- Use almond or jojoba oil to cleanse your face.
- Comfrey steeped in water can make a good toner.
- Make a facial exfoliate by mixing grapefruit with oatmeal.
- Make a face mask out of fruit.
- Cucumber and yoghurt also makes a good face mask for sensitive skin.
- Licorice is a good product for sensitive skin. Look for skin care products that contain licorice.
- Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties, which may help prevent sensitive skin reactions.
- Aloe Vera can soothe skin that is red, irritated and blotchy. Apply directly to the skin.
Even when using natural products, people with sensitive skin need to be careful. As some sensitive skin reactions are caused by allergies, even organic products may cause an adverse reaction in someone. Check every product on a small area of your skin first, and stop using a product if it seems to be triggering the symptoms associated with sensitive skin.
Skin Care Tips for Sensitive Skin
- Sensitive skin care is important, especially because sensitive skin is prone to a lot of skin problems. You need to work on your sensitive skin to prevent it from ageing prematurely. This requires regular cleansing, toning, and moisturizing, using products that are specifically meant for sensitive skin. Rose water is a natural cleanser and toner for sensitive skin. If your skin is prone to allergies and acne breakouts, clean your skin with a piece of cotton soaked in rose water before you go to sleep and after you wake up.
- Sensitive skin care requires use of soap free cleansers as the harsh chemicals used in other soaps and cleansers can trigger allergic reactions. Alcohol free astringent solutions are also a great way to take care of sensitive skin. These are available commercially. Sensitive skin is also more prone to dryness, and therefore, moisturization is an important aspect of sensitive skin care. If you’re looking for a good moisturizer for sensitive skin, make sure you buy one that is specifically made for your type of skin. Using moisturizing for other skin types such as oily or normal skin can further harm your skin.
- A large part of sensitive skin care also involves use of cosmetic products that are made especially for your kind of skin. If you use a lot of makeup, make sure that the products you use are natural and hypoallergenic. There are a lot of commercial labels that produce products only for people with sensitive skins. If you find these products to be very expensive, you can use homemade products from ingredients found in your kitchen.
- Visit a dermatologist to get sensitive skin care tips. Your dermatologist will not only tell you how to take care of your skin, but will also recommend products that are useful for people with sensitive skins. Even if you use homemade creams and remedies for your sensitive skin care, make sure that your dermatologist is in the know. For people with sensitive skin, certain ingredients used in homemade creams and lotions may also cause skin damage.
- Try and use fragrance free products as these have fewer amounts of chemicals in them. Keep your makeup minimal and only use good quality products. Also make sure you do not use any commercial products past their expiry dates. Taking care of your diet is also an important part of diet for skin care. Drink lots of water and consume fresh fruits and vegetables to keep your skin healthy and glowing.