Oily skin generally appears shiny, has rough pores and is prone to pimples, blackheads and blemishes. In oily skin, the sebaceous glands produce excess oil which oozes out through the pores of the skin giving it a shiny look. Oily skin could be due to heredity, hormone levels, diet, pregnancy, humidity, or due to the kind of cosmetics used. The excess oil secreted by the sebaceous glands is more during adolescence and decreases with age. But oily skin does not develop wrinkles or does not show signs of aging very early as in dry or normal skin types. With a little care, oily skin can appear naturally beautiful.
Useful Tips for Oily Skin Care
- Firstly, before you try anything new, try a small patch test if you have sensitive skin. A reaction or eruption on your face would be unpleasant. No matter how safe you think a remedy is, first try it on your wrist or the inside of your elbow.
- Before you apply any facial masques or oily skin treatments, make sure your skin is clean. Make it a point to use products meant for oily skin when cleansing too as many facial cleansers are oil based and will only add to the greasiness of your skin. Natural cleansers are again preferable.
- Avoid using moisturizers or cold creams that are oil based.
- To cleanse your face, use warm water and an appropriate cleanser. Wash off with cool water and pat dry your skin instead of rubbing it vigorously.
- A facial masque prepared from oatmeal and honey is effective for oily skin. Make a paste using raw oatmeal, lemon juice and honey and apply it over your face. Be careful that it does not enter the eyes. Rinse it off after around ten minutes with warm water and pat dry your skin. This will keep your skin clean, smooth, and fresh, and rid of any greasiness.
- You can also use a clay masque or use fuller’s earth mixed with water for a good facial masque to reduce oiliness. Leave it on for around twenty minutes before rinsing off.
- Lemon juice, honey, and turmeric are some natural bleaches that are effective for removal of a tan and improvement of your complexion. Cucumber and potato juice also contain natural bleaching properties.
- Yogurt and white radish are also effective natural bleaching agents.
- Drink a lot of water as keeping your system well hydrated is believed to minimize dark circles.
- Used tea bags can be refrigerated and placed over the eyes for around fifteen minutes daily.
- A slice of raw potato or cucumber placed around the eyes is also believed to help.
Home Remedies for Oily Skin
Use of Almonds and honey
Take 2-3 almonds and grind them properly. Add ½ tablespoon honey to it. Mix them to make a fine paste. Massage your face with this paste gently for 15-20 minutes. Wipe off with a hot water dipped cloth. Wash with water after that. It gives your skin a deadly glow. It is very effective home remedy for oily skin.
Use of Salt
It is a simple and well known home remedy for oily skin. Add a teaspoon of salt in a bottle of water. Sprinkle this water on your face several times a day. You will notice the changes in your skin after a week. It is an efficient way to get rid of extra oil on your skin.
Use of Egg yolk
An egg yolk mask helps in drying out the skin. Take the egg yolk and apply on the oily part of skin with a cotton ball. Let it dry for 15 minutes. Wash with cool water after that. Regular use of this will balance the oily spots on your skin.
Use of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel work like wonders in reducing oily spots on the skin. Take a leaf and slice it to get the gel. Apply this gel 2-3 times daily. It is a simple home remedy for curing oily skin. You can also keep the gel in refrigerator 30 minutes before applying. It will give you a smooth as well as refreshing effect.
Use of Vinegar
Vinegar is very helpful in treating oily skin. Apply vinegar on the oily skin with a cotton ball. If your skin is sensitive then add 4teaspoons of water to 1 teaspoon vinegar. You can also freeze vinegar and use it as a cooling pad. One of the simple home remedies for oily skin.
Use of Limes and Cucumbers
Take 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice. Add same quantity of lime juice to it. Apply this solution on the oily skin parts. Allow it to dry. Wash with cool water.
Use of Cornstarch
Cornstarch helps in drying oily patches on skin. Take a cup of lukewarm water and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to it. Mix well to make a fine paste. You can now rub this paste on your face in upward circular motion for 10-15 minutes. Now allow it to dry completely. Wash with lukewarm water after that. Regular use of this helps in removing extra oil from your skin. One of the useful home remedies for oily skin.
Use of Apples and Oatmeal
Take half cup of mashed apple and add half cup oatmeal to it. Now add few drops of lemon juice and one egg white (beaten) to it. Mix well to make a thick paste. Now apply this .paste on your skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash with cool water after that. It is an efficient home remedy for oily skin.
Use of Lemons
Take 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix same quantity of water to it. Apply this solution on your face with a cotton ball. Wash with lukewarm water for better and quick results.
Use of Baking Soda
Add half teaspoon of baking soda to your liquid soap or body wash. Gently massage the oily areas of skin. Wash with cool water after that. Regular use of this will help you in getting rid of extra oil on your skin.