Oily skin is something which is backed by overactive sebaceous glands. The incessant secretion of sebum or oil gives the face a constant shine and no amount of powdering can remove the sheen. Having excess facial oil can be genetic. It could also be caused by hormonal changes in the body during adolescence, puberty, menopause, menstrual periods or pregnancy. Such skin could be the hotbed of the most dreaded four letter word ‘acne’. In the US, almost 85% teenagers have some form of acne.
Specifically one particular male hormone, androgen has a direct hand in triggering the oil secreting glands of the skin. Androgen is also found in women. When due to any hormonal imbalance the levels of androgen increase in the body, skin becomes oilier.
Oily Skin Care Tips for Women
Natural Ingredients Are Better
The biggest problem with oily skin is that it is often hard to treat. Too many skin care products used to treat oily skin contain harsh chemicals that may cause other problems. I recommend that you find natural products that contain grapefruit or lemon. You don’t want to have to put up with many of those harsh chemicals.
Lime Juice With Cucumber Juice
Here is a mixture that you can try. Take some lime juice and mix it with cucumber. Simply rub the juice on your face. You may want to live it sit for a few minutes before you wash it off with warm water. This can also be used to help prevent acne.
Oatmeal is a very powerful ingredients when it comes to treating oily skin. You can make pastes and masks that will help treat your oily skin care condition. The key here is that oatmeal can help soak up all that extra oil. One way to do this is to simply mix oatmeal with lemon juice.
Try Different Cleansers
This is very important. If a certain type of cleanser doesn’t work then be sure to try another. Just because it says it’s for oily skin on the package doesn’t mean it will work for you. In some cases these products may even make your condition worse. So don’t stick with something just because it’s suppose to work.
It’s important for you to moisturize your skin even if you do suffer from oily skin. Most women are concerned that they may create more oil even if they do moisturize. The way around this is to use a moisturizer for oily skin and to only moisturize once per day instead of twice. Try moisturizing before you go to bed instead of in the mourning.
Avoid Too Much Sugar
A healthy diet is very important. One of the best things you can do for your skin is to reduce the amount of sugar you take in. Junk foods and soft drinks should be avoided as much as possible. Replace those with fruit snacks and green tea.
Cucumber And Lemon
This is another great mix for those with oily skin. Take juice from a cucumber and mix it with lemon juice. Rub the mix on your face and let it dry. Once it has dried what it off with warm water. This can be very effective.
Some Other Tips for Oily Skin Care
- Frequent washing of face with a mild soap can inhibit oil production leaving the face cleaner and fresh looking. A good oil control face wash would be beneficial. Using a wipe from time to time when washing face is not possible also helps.
- Choosing the right cosmetics for the skin is essential. Something which does not dry out the skin overtly is necessary.
- Asking the doctor about whether the class of drugs retinoid is suitable for you. These drugs ensure that the glands produce less oil.
- Using a face pack made of fullers earth, rose water, and lemon juice two times a week will make skin achieve a normal texture.
- The third step after cleaning and toning would be moisturizing. An oil free moisturizer is essential to provide the right moisture in this type of skin.
- It would be a good idea to stay away from excessive oily and fatty food. Processed food with high sugar content and preservatives also affects the skin adversely.
- It is very important to remove make up properly especially in oily skin. Remnants of make up along with dirt and sebum may clog pores and cause acne.
- Avoid using cosmetics which contains alcohol. Alcohol tends to make skin very dry.
- Sometimes being on a birth control pill may help control oil production in the facial glands, as it plays a role in monitoring the levels of androgen in the body.
- Using an astringent solution after cleaning helps to shrink pores and reduce oil secretion.
- Constant breakouts may indicate that you have acne or another skin condition. Contact your dermatologist for medical advice and guidance.